Sunday, February 8, 2015

Lord of the Fries

I don't report on chain restaurants. When I started this blog I wanted to review the small independent spots that I had the pleasure or displeasure of dining at. But I am going to go outside of that sphere. It is because I once in a while I hear a statement that makes me absolutely cringe. And that is:

                 "One thing about McDonald's, they have the best fries."

This just makes my skin crawl. How can the one place that has absolutely, without a doubt, the worst fries on the market continually get people to perpetuate this myth? Maybe it all began back in the day when all chain fries were basically the same. And since McDonald's is far and away the industry leader they gained the aid of this myth. Because back in the day, there were no real stand-outs. But things have changed and they've been changed for a long time now. So for all of you brainless dimwits who have it burned into your brain that McDonald's have the best fries, let me give you a few examples of places that have way better fries. I mean, seriously this means everywhere else, but I'll give you dead palate zombies some other fries to check out.

STEAK AND SHAKE: A smaller version of the usual fry, reminiscent of Shoestring potatoes. Anyone remember those? Very Good. I toss them into their Chili.

BURGER KING: A few years ago Burger King made some slight change. It might be as simple as they changed the type of oil they fry in. Whatever they did, their fries are far superior to McDonald's.

WENDY'S: These are whole cut potato fries, meaning you will see part of the potato skin on the end of some. They are cut slightly larger, and have a much more authentic fry taste than McD's.

ARBY's: For years Arby's (you just have to know this place was started by someone whose initials were RB, and thus the name) anyway, Arby's for years have had some of the greatest fries around. Their renown Curley Fries are soft and tasty, and so much better than anything McDonald's could come up with.

LONG JOHN SILVER's: Great fish, great chicken, great hush puppies, and great fries. Much better than Mickey Dee's.

TEXAS ROAD HOUSE: Like any other steak restaurant, TRH offers potato wedges, or sometimes called "cottage fries." These are considerably better than the junk McD's can offer.

And finally, the very best:

FIVE GUYS, burgers and fries: These are truly the best fries in the business. The best, bar none. And I have asked myself why? Why are these fries one million miles above all others in the business? And finally it came to me. These are the only french fries of any chain that are never frozen. They have sacks of potatoes in the restaurant everyday, and every morning they chop them into fries and that is what they use all day. These are never frozen, which makes all the difference in taste. These are the best.

If you really think McDonald's have the best fries, try eating, ummm, let's see, ANYWHERE else sometime. You will be surprised. McDonald's fries are the worst in the business. Period.

I should also mention that in studies, when folks (maybe the guy who did the film "Super-Size Me") sit out all fast food out and film it in time lapse, all the burgers and other items grow mold and eventually fall apart and basically finally turn into granular sand, the McDonald's fries still look like they just came out of the frier. I have a theory. If mold won't eat something, maybe we shouldn't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment