Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Wealthy Street Bakery.

The Wealthy Street Bakery
608 Wealthy Street
Grand Rapids, Michigan

I had just given my wife and father-in-law a tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's Meyer May house in Grand Rapids, and before leaving my wife asked our friend Shirley if there was anywhere good to eat nearby. Shirley instantly assured us there was. The Wealthy Street Bakery around the corner.

Shirley knows of what she speaks.

This is primarily a bakery. But they do serve an assortment of soups and sandwiches along with coffees, lattes, and other coffee drinks. I opted for the turkey and provolone, while my wife and father-in-law ordered the chicken salad sandwich. We all elected to have the soup along with our sandwich. There is only one soup at a time, and at that moment, it was cheesy broccoli. I normally don't like "cheesy" thick soups, but since it was the only one available I decided to give it a try. And I'm glad I did.

Our sandwiches arrived and I must say I was hesitant about the whole idea. I had been craving a burger. But after I took the first bite of this wonderful turkey and provolone, with lettuce, and some mayo/mustard concoction, on the BEST bread ever..... I no longer wanted a burger. I wanted to figure out how to make this sandwich experience last as long as possible. And did I mention the others' Chicken Salad sandwiches? They came also on the the aforementioned BEST bread ever, and besides chicken included lots of interesting stuff including cranberries.

The soup I had been apprehensive about was simply wonderful. Cheesy for sure, but not thick and overpowering. It was light and was filled with very fresh broccoli that still had life in it. If all cheese-broccoli could be this I would have a bowl every day.

We all enjoyed this little jewel very much. I will be going there again as my occasional duties as a docent at the Meyer May house bring me to that area of Grand Rapids. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. It was wonderful.

The Good: Lots of parking, plenty of seating, casual atmosphere, employees who really care and take pride in the food.

The Bad: Only a bakery and lunch place. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it means the menu is fairly limited.

Hours are 6:30 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. Monday thru Saturday.


Grade: A.

No comments:

Post a Comment