Friday, June 3, 2016

Johnny's Barbecue


Johnny's Barbecue
Cullman, Alabama


We had to spend a night in Cullman, Alabama. We've done this before, but this time couldn't find the nice hotel we had last time. But I digress. When my wife asked the toothless one at the desk who was on the phone, for a good local place without a beat she said "Johnny's, a mile down the road." So we went. We always want to try local places.

I have been to barbecue joints all over the south: Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida etc. So I was anxious to try a barbecue joint in Alabama that I have not tried.

So we went to Johnny's. The locals filled the place. My wife ordered the half chicken and I had the ribs. The ribs were bland at best. I asked for 'no ice' in my Diet Coke. Our totally toothless waitress asked, "No Oz?" So to me Oz has munchkins and a Wizard and stuff, so I have to process before I answer, "Yes, no ice." And even though I asked for extra sour cream and butter for my baked potato, I didn't get it.

Penny's half chicken was dry and tough. Hey, she didn't order chicken jerky, but that's what she got.

So if you ever have to spend a night in Cullman, Alabama, and you might if you are headed to Florida's panhandle from Michigan, avoid Johnny's. If you want better cuisine, find a McDonald's.

And seriously Cullman, they invented these things called dentures. Check it out.






No comments:

Post a Comment